Not that it ever ends in Southern California, we maybe take a few days off here and there when the temperature dips into the 50’s & 60’s, but, with the arrival of Memorial Day weekend, there is no mistaking that bathing suit season has officially begun.
There is really no excuse for me not to be in peak bikini shape, having taken 12 days to bask in the Caribbean and Mexican sunshine in March, but what can I say? I got lazy, I let my tan fade, I fell back in love with my sweatpants, I HAD to test the recipes and visit the restaurants I’ve been reviewing on my food blog: This Girl Loves to Eat, the excuses go on and on…
Now that I’ve made my confession it’s time to repent.
For a while it’ll be:
- Goodbye Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia
- Goodbye Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Goodbye M&M’s, Skittles, Hot Tamales & Oreo Cookies
- Goodbye Pizza and Beer on Friday night
- Goodbye cheese plates and charcuterie plates
- Goodbye Ruffles and Laura Scudder’s Green Onion Sour Cream Dip
- Goodbye Buffalo Wild Wings Medium or Asian Zing Boneless Wings dripping in Ranch and, worst of all,
- Goodbye Doordash and LABite who bring me food from some of my favorite, not diet friendly, restaurants pretty frequently
That’s a lot of goodbyes. These are some of my very best friends and sources of comfort and joy. 😦
Have no fear my friends, you will be back (in better moderation) in no time!
In their places I commit (grudgingly) to:
- Eat no fast food for the next 4 weeks
- Cut out all processed foods
- Increase my fruit and vegetables
- In my world Wine is both a Fruit and a liquid – I am not getting rid of my glass of wine and won’t beat myself up for it. I will drink 2 additional glasses of water for every glass of wine
- Eat more salad with lean protein
- Reduce my red meats and add more fish and chicken
- Have a solid breakfast (oatmeal, fruit, high fiber cereal with skim milk, hard boiled eggs, etc.)
- Add two snacks a day (late morning/late afternoon)
- Don’t skip meals
- No carbs after 5:00 PM
- Finish eating my last meal of the day by 8:00 PM
- Cut out desserts and sweets
- Get off of my butt, dust off my treadmill and re-hang my TRX straps – THEN USE THEM at least 30 minutes a day
- Become part of the “Gallon A Day” club
What is the Gallon a Day Club? The Gallon a Day Club is a commitment to drink 128 US Gallons of Water every day for 4 weeks (28 days). Today is my day 1.
Did you know that a gallon of water weighs 8.34 Pounds? Right now you are probably thinking the same thing I am: WTF??? I am trying to lose the pudge, not add to it! Patience young Jedi 😉 there is supposedly a method to this madness.
- Drinking a gallon of water a day leaves less room for food, or idle snacking during the day, which prevents overeating. Hmmm
- Skin becomes smoother, more supple, glowing. Less acne, fewer wrinkles, less dullness? Sign me up!
- Water helps you flush more of the toxins that tend to build up in your body. 128 ounces in will push themselves, and some more to boot, out in your many trips to pee. In addition, being well hydrated makes constipation a memory and helps push out more poop too!
- Cold Water Burns Calories. Your body has to work harder (i.e. warm up/use calories) when you are drinking 128 ounces of ice cold water.
- Metabolic rate increases about 30% after drinking 2 cups of water. Boost your metabolism+burn more calories=lose more weight.
- Drinking more water means fewer headaches since headaches can be triggered by dehydration.
- Proper hydration: gets rid of puffiness and dark eye circles, helps you wake with more energy, and reduces acne flare ups.
- All of this has been said to remove up to 10 years from your face! I’ll take that.
Day 1 photos have been taken and fingers are crossed that day 28 photos reveal all of these good things plus the loss of a few pounds, some puffiness and the return of the angles in my face! Hmmm indeed.
Are you on Facebook? If you are interested in blog follow ups, free or discounted stuff I find, things that make me wonder, laugh or scream in frustration, join the more than 2,500 people who find me engaging or amusing at the page dedicated to this blog: https://www.facebook.com/extremeblondemoments