TRX, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the workout system, is a highly effective body weight training system using only straps to perform a whole body workout. TRX was developed by the Navy Seals, who couldn’t tote a gym with them into the secret places they were sent. I am convinced that they only shared it with the public to prove what wusses we regular people are.
Like anyone who works out, I get bored doing the same thing day after day, so I change up my routine. I rotate PiYo, Rowing Machine, Kettlebells, TRX Rip Trainer and TRX Straps, but the TRX and I, because it kicks my ass, have a particularly rocky relationship. 😉 HMMM
Today I came across a trainer in Colorado using a few moves I haven’t tried, combining the TRX with my other workout foe, that Bitch, the Kettlebell. You think I’m being facetious, but have YOU tried to rise from a sitting position (or up from the toilet, especially an old school low one) the day after doing kettle bell figure 8’s? Laugh now, but you’ll agree with me the day after 3 sets of 30 with a 15 lb Kettlebell, trust me.
TRX Single Leg Front Squat with Core Cross-over
- Position one foot in the strap.
- Begin standing with your arms out at your sides.
- As you come into a squat (pay attention to your alignment – be sure the knee isn’t coming in front of the toes), cross your right arm in front of you to touch your left foot.
- Allow your back leg to bend slightly as you come down.
- Repeat for 15, then switch sides
Kettlebell Row with TRX Single Leg Squat
- Position one foot in the strap scissored out to your side.
- Begin in a single leg squat holding a kettlebell with two hands.
- As you straighten your standing leg, bring the kettlebell up to a row.
- Keep the leg in the TRX straight as you lift and lower, and maintain a flat back.
- Keep your chest lifted when you’re holding the kettlebell and squeeze your shoulder blades together as you come up into the row.
- Modify this by doing it without the kettlebell until you feel comfortable with the extra weight.
TRX Bicycle Straddle Combo
- Both feet in the straps, lay on your back.
- Lift your hips and engage your core without arching your back.
- Do 1 bicycle pull in with each leg followed by abduction (legs apart).
- Return to beginning and repeat.
- Do 15 of that series in a row
Twenty minutes of cardio (mine will be on the rowing machine) plus three sets of this circuit and you should be a quivering mess like I was. If you aren’t then you are in much better shape than I am and need to add a heavier Kettlebell and more reps then tell me how standing up from sitting on that toilet feels. 😉
Do you use Facebook? If you’re interested in the occasional product that intrigues me or something I’ve bought that’s a waste of time or money, things that make me wonder, piss me off, tickle my fancy, scream like a maniac, giggle, or yell in frustration, you can receive an email each time I’ve got something new to ponder or you can join the nearly 2,900 people who find me engaging or amusing at the Facebook page dedicated to this blog: https://www.facebook.com/extremeblondemoments