With all of the dirty politics, bad and false news along with the unexpected deaths of beloved entertainers and icons, #RIPCarrieFisher, we’ve been bombarded with in the last 3 months of 2016, I thought I’d pass along some funny and intriguing facts to leave us all something to giggle about and ponder as we enter the new year:
- The Havasupai Tribe of Indians, who live deep in Arizona’s Grand Canyon, are visited by more than 20,000 visitors annually who come to hike, camp, ride horses and swim in beautiful turquoise waters. The public can reach them only via helicopters or by navigating primitive trails on horseback. Because of their remote location, the tribe is not serviced by FedEx or UPS and they can only receive their US mail via delivery by mule. They are the only place in the United States to receive their mail by mule.
- A “butt” is an actual unit of measurement. The term butt or buttload was originally used as a medieval measurement for wine: a buttload = 475 liters or 126 gallons.
- Tired of your glasses sliding down your nose? There’s a wax for that: NERDWAX™! The guys on Sharktank loved it! Rub on your glasses or nose like Chapstick™ and your glasses stay put for hours.
- Harrison Ford is the only film icon who has a species of spiders (Calponia harrisonfordi) and ants (Pheidole harrisonfordi) named after him in honor of his dedicated conservation work.
- Sorry to tell you this ladies, but here are a few new reasons for your guy to try and encourage you to perform oral sex on him: Oral sex boosts cardio health, lowers blood pressure, it burns calories, and it is believed that the more ejaculations a man has, the lower his risk of prostate cancer. In addition, a Dutch study showed that swallowing semen lowered a woman’s risk of pre-eclampsia (dangerously high blood pressure that can occur during pregnancy). And a North Carolina State University study showed that women who regularly preformed fellatio reduced their risk of breast cancer by as much as 40%.
- Phil Knight paid Carol Davidson (a student at Portland State University) $35 in 1971
for designing the iconic NIKE Swoosh logo. 10 years later he gifted her with today’s equivalent of $643,000 worth of NIKE stock.
- Only female ducks quack. The males grunt, hiss, moo, and make other similar noises.
Are you on Facebook? If you’re interested in the occasional product that intrigues me or something I’ve bought that’s a waste of time or money, things that make me wonder, piss me off, tickle my fancy, scream like a maniac, giggle, or yell in frustration, you can receive an email each time I’ve got something new to ponder or you can join the more than 2,800 people who find me engaging or amusing at the Facebook page dedicated to this blog: https://www.facebook.com/extremeblondemoments